The sexual abuse scandal in Antigonish diocese relates to allegations of sexual abuse connected to the Roman Catholic clergy that occurred in the Canadian diocese of Antigonish.
Reaching settlements for old 1950s cases
On August 7, 2009, Bishop Raymond Lahey announced that the Diocese of Antigonish had reached a $15 million settlement in a class action lawsuit filed by victims of sexual abuse by diocese priests dating to 1950. The settlement was approved by the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia on September 10, 2009.
Allegations against Bishop Raymond Lahey
In September, 2009, Bishop Raymond Lahey's laptop was seized upon his return to Canada, after having visited parts of Europe. Canada Border Services Agency officers had performed a random search of his computer, uncovering images that raised concerns. Following an investigation Lahey was charged with the importation and possession of child pornography, and he subsequently tendered his resignation as Bishop for the Diocese. Lahey is alleged to have responded to the allegations by stating that he had never abused a child, and that he would "never have any sexual interest in a person under 18".
Subsequent to his arrest, allegations emerged that Lahey had previously been brought to the attention of former St. John’s archbishop Alphonsus Liguori Penney in regard to child pornography allegations in the 1980's.
On November 21, 2009 Pope Benedict XVI named Bishop Brian Joseph Dunn as the Bishop of the Diocese of Antigonish. Archbishop Mancini served as Apostolic Administrator until Bishop Dunn's installation on January 25, 2010.
- "Court approves $15M church sex-abuse deal". CBC News. September 10, 2009. Archived from the original on September 11, 2009. http://web.archive.org/web/20090911190004/http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2009/09/10/ns-court-sex-abuse-church.html. Retrieved November 8, 2010.
- AFP (October 1, 2009). "Ex Canadian bishop faces child porn charges". AsiaOne News. http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/Crime/Story/A1Story20091001-171091.html. Retrieved November 8, 2010.
- Lazzuri, Brian. "Bishop Raymond Lahey resigns". The Casket. http://www.thecasket.ca/stories.asp?id=884. Retrieved November 7, 2010.
- "Pope Benedict appoints new bishop for troubled Nova Scotia diocese". The Amherst Daily News. November 23, 2009. http://www.amherstdaily.com/Faith/2009-11-23/article-819113/Pope-Benedict-appoints-new-bishop-for-troubled-Nova-Scotia-diocese/1. Retrieved November 8, 2010.
- Morrissey, Alisha (October 5, 2009). "Priest says he confronted ex-bishop on porn issue in 1980s". National Post. http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2069365. Retrieved November 8, 2010.
- New shepherd anticipates a ministry of presence