Racism in sport is a problem which is manifest around the world. It has led to a wide range of controversial incidents which have been reported in the media.
Controversial incidents of racism in sport
The following incidents of alleged racism in sport received significant attention in the media.
Association Football has a history of racism events. Some players may be targeted because of their association with an opposing team. However, there have been instances of individuals being targeted by their own fans.
- 17 October - Indian crowds of up to 40,000 people at a cricket match in Vadodara and Nagpur threw racist taunts at Andrew Symonds resulting in official complaints to the International Cricket Council.
- Broadcaster Kelly Tilghman is suspended from The Golf Channel after joking about Tiger Woods being "lynched in a back alley" during final round coverage of the Mercedes-Benz Championship.
- Anthony Mundine made publicity by claiming that New South Wales as racist state in terms of the sport of rugby league and that it is one of the reasons he quit the sport to take up boxing.
- News.com.au reports that television commentator and former rugby league great Andrew Johns had been banned for allegedly calling Greg Inglis a "black c***" while addressing the New South Wales rugby league team. Additionally it was alleged that Johns had referred to Timana Tahu as a "black c.***, "Abo", "c**n", "n****r" and "monkey".
- Racism in Sport From: The Daily Telegraph January 08, 2008
- Sport and national identity in the ... - Google Books. Books.google.com. http://books.google.com/books?id=yZfYh7n2qTMC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Sport+and+National+Identity+in+the+Post-War+World#v=onepage&q=darkie&f=false. Retrieved 2010-03-19.
- "Fact Sheet 6: Racism and Football". University of Leicester. http://www.le.ac.uk/so/css/resources/factsheets/fs6.html. Retrieved 2008-02-17.
- "BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | R | Rangers | Police probe into abuse of Edu". BBC News. 2009-10-22. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8318117.stm. Retrieved 2010-03-19.
- The Man blasts 'racist' NSW
- Andrew Johns dodges TV ban after racial taunts prompted Timana Tahu Origin walkout by By Paul Malone June 16, 2010
- Folau part of Johns' black list in racism row by Chris Barrett June 15, 2010
- NRL racism is spinning out of control by Chris Graham
- Racism in Sports TheSportsCampus.com