Prisoner abuse is the mistreatment of persons while they are under arrest or incarcerated. Abuse falling into this category includes:
- Physical abuse: Needless beating, hitting, or other corporal punishment.
- Psychological abuse: Taunting, sleep deprivation, or other forms of psychological abuse, occasionally white noise
- Sexual abuse: Forced intercourse, genital mutilation, or other forms of sexual abuse.
- Other abuse: Refusal of essential medication, humiliation, etc.
- Enhanced interrogation: methods implemented in the War on Terror purportedly needed to extract information since other techniques would not yield results. Used synonymously with torture.
- Torture: any act by which severe pain, whether physical or psychological, is intentionally inflicted
The endless playing of random static (similar to that of unused TV frequencies) with no pattern; this can cause insanity and mental disorders.
Needless insults and profanity to prisoners to gain a feeling of superiority by any figure of authority.
Enablement of Sexual Predators
Prisoners are sometimes intentionally housed with known rapists of other prisoners by prison guards, or protection from known rapists is purposely withheld. That's cruel and unusual punishment for prisoners. These practices create a very high incidence of rape in US prisons. This was the topic of the 2001 report No Escape from Human Rights Watch.