|Pamela Joan Rogers|
Pamela Rogers mugshot. Date: 03/31/2006|
Pamela Rogers mugshot. Date: 03/31/2006
July 1, 1977 |
|Charge(s)||Sexual battery, probation violation|
Probation (7 years 3 months)|
2 years in prison
|Status||Incarcerated, Release date: Jan 2015|
|Spouse||Christopher Turner (divorced)|
Pamela Joan Rogers (born July 1, 1977), a former elementary school physical education teacher and coach in McMinnville, Tennessee, had a sexual relationship with a 13-year-old boy who was one of her students in Centertown Elementary School.
Rogers faced 15 counts of sexual battery by an authority figure and 13 counts of statutory rape on February 4, 2005. The charges stemmed from her 3-month relationship with a teenage boy. Following her arrest, she posted bail of $50,000. When originally charged, Turner pleaded not guilty.
Rogers later pleaded no contest to 4 charges of sexual battery by an authority figure on August 12, 2005, as part of a deal with the prosecution. Her sentence was 270 days (about 9 months) in the Warren County jail in Tennessee. During an 8-year suspended sentence, she must also serve a term of 7 years and 3 months of probation, register as a sex offender, and surrender her teaching certificate for life. The sentence not only prohibits her from profiting from the case (including books and movies), but also bars her from granting interviews for 8 years.
Rogers was arrested again on April 24, 2006 on charges that she had sent text messages, nude photos, and sex videos of herself to the same boy while using her father's cellphone. She was also charged for communicating with the boy via blogs and a website. The judge ordered her to remain in jail until her next court hearing. On July 14, 2006 Rogers was sentenced to 7 years in prison for violating her probation by sending explicit videos to her former victim and maintaining contact with him via online blogs. Rogers asked for mercy and apologized to her family and the teen's family saying tearfully to the judge, "I have humiliated myself. What I did was wrong, I am willing to do anything to rehabilitate myself." She asked for local incarceration with therapy. Circuit Judge Bart Stanley denied her request saying, "You have done everything except show this court that you wanted to rehabilitate yourself." He revoked Rogers' probation and ordered her to serve the rest of a seven-year prison sentence at the Tennessee State Prison for Women. 
After her release from prison, Rogers was arrested again in June 2015, in a separate case where she allegedly conspired with two current inmates to smuggle cell phones into the state prison where she had been incarcerated. She is still in prison held on $50,000 bond; her arrest brought national attention to the problem of cellphones as illegal contraband in prisons. This, and a television documentary (Twisted: Teachers Who Prey about her sexual abuse, made her a famous example of teachers sexual abuse.)
She married Christopher Turner, a High School basketball coach, in 2003. He filed for divorce in January 2005, around the time of her indictment. Separated since 2004, the couple was already experiencing marital difficulties when Pamela's legal troubles came to light.
- "editors, "Ex-teacher goes to jail for nude photos By BILL POOVEY Associated Press Writer", Online Archive Edition". Archived from the original on July 19, 2006. http://web.archive.org/web/20060719235511/http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/nation/4048393.html. Retrieved 2006-07-15.
- ""Teacher's Obsession Costs Her Two More Years in Jail". Archived from the original on 2007-01-14. http://web.archive.org/web/20070114001833/http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070110.wteachr0110/BNStory/International/home. Retrieved 2007-01-13.
- Ex-Teacher Gets 2 More Years for Photos January 10, 2007
- "Twisted: Teachers Who Prey". https://vimeo.com/156183241.
- "Teacher's sex case has town in turmoil". Tennessean.com. http://www.tennessean.com/local/archives/05/01/65469171.shtml?Element_ID=65469171. Retrieved 2006-08-26.
- "Attorney says divorce not related to marriage breakup". AP. Archived from the original on March 12, 2005. http://web.archive.org/web/20050312172849/http://www.volunteertv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2938884. Retrieved 2006-08-26.