The Nanping school massacre (福建南平校园惨案) occurred at Nanping City Experimental Elementary School in the city of Nanping, Fujian Province, People's Republic of China, in which a man used a knife to kill eight children and seriously wound five others. The incident occurred on March 23, 2010, around 7:20 am local time (UTC+8 ). It was the first of the 2010 Chinese school attacks.
Incident and casualties
The children were attacked outside the gates by a man as they were arriving for school at 7:20 am local time (UTC+8 ). (Before the attacks, it was the school's practice to keep the gates shut until school began at 7:30 am) The perpetrator was subdued on the scene by three adults. Of the eight fatalities, six died at the scene and the other two later in hospital. The deceased were four boys and four girls.
Zheng Minsheng (April 30, 1968 – April 28, 2010) who had previously worked as a community doctor, was arrested. The Associated Press reported that, according to a Nanping city government office who refused to be named, Zheng had a history of mental health issues. He later told police investigating the crime that he thought "life was meaningless", and confessed to the crime. Zheng was charged with intentional homicide by the province's procuratorate.
At the trial, police stated that Zheng had no history of mental illness, contradicting earlier reports. Zheng said that he performed the attack after being turned down by a girl and suffering "unfair treatment" from the girl's wealthy family. He was found guilty and sentenced to death on April 8, 2010. Zheng Minsheng was executed by firing squad on the 28th of April, 2010. 
- "Man fatally stabs 8 schoolchildren in China". CNN International. 23 March 2010. http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/03/23/china.school.attack/. Retrieved 24 March 2010.
- Macartney, Jane (24 March 2010). "Eight children die in Chinese primary school massacre". The Times (London, UK). http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article7072238.ece. Retrieved 24 March 2010.
- "Chinese doctor hacks eight schoolchildren to death". AFP (Agence France-Presse). 23 March 2010. Archived from the original on 26 March 2010. http://web.archive.org/web/20100326114004/http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5ikFCtyijDeeazgGxCYA3d-p2SnuA. Retrieved 24 March 2010.
- Juan, Shan; Zhu Xingxin (25 March 2010). "Society Therapists seek to heal devastated children". China Daily. http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2010-03/25/content_9638141.htm. Retrieved 26 March 2010.
- Demick, Barbara (March 23 2010). "Man stabs, kills 8 children outside school in China". The Los Angeles Times. http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-fg-china-stabbings23-2010mar23,0,1732742.story. Retrieved 24 March 2010.
- "Man Kills 8 at Chinese School". Time. 24 March 2010. http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1974786,00.html. Retrieved 24 March 2010.
- Chang, Anita (25 March 2010). "Life 'meaningless' for China school attack suspect". The Associated Press. Archived from the original on 27 March 2010. http://web.archive.org/web/20100327151911/http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h900ktGTVrHki67R6Aa5OABGb1ggD9EL3GK80. Retrieved 26 March 2010.
- Zhi, Lin (23 March 2010). "Man kills eight children at east China school, suspect arrested". Xinhua. http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/china/2010-03/23/c_13221479_2.htm. Retrieved 24 March 2010.
- "Classes resume after man stab eight students to death in east China". Xinhua. 24 March 2010. http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/china/2010-03/24/c_13222860.htm. Retrieved 24 March 2010.
- 郑民生:走上55秒杀戮之路, sxgov.cn (April 2, 2010)
- Fairclough, Gordon (23 March 2010). "Eight China Students Stabbed to Death". The Wall Street Journal (New York: Dow Jones and Company). http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704211704575139500440463336.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird. Retrieved 24 March 2010.
- Bodeen, Christopher (24 March 2010). "8 children stabbed to death at Chinese school". The Associated Press. Archived from the original on 26 March 2010. http://web.archive.org/web/20100326101306/http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h900ktGTVrHki67R6Aa5OABGb1ggD9EKGUKO2. Retrieved 24 March 2010.
- Jingqiong, Wang (26 March 2010). "Society School killer wanted to take revenge on society". China Daily. http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2010-03/26/content_9644723.htm. Retrieved 26 March 2010.
- "Procuratorate nods arrest of man killing 8 kids". Xinhua. 24 March 2010. http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2010-03/24/content_9637431.htm. Retrieved 26 March 2010.
- "Man sentenced to death over China school stabbings". BBC News. 2010-04-08. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8609162.stm. Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- "China executes killer of eight school children". news.bbc.co.uk. 2010-04-28. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8648077.stm. Retrieved 2010-04-28.