|This article needs additional citations for verification.|
Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (January 2010)
Mass grave was discovered while constructing a stadium in Guba in mid-April 2007. After that, an expedition group was formed and an archeological excavation conducted. During the excavations bones of approximately 400-600 people, including those of over 50 children and 100 women, were uncovered. The killings of civilians were done on the orders of Bolshevik leader, ethnic Armenian Stepan Shahumian.
In 2008 Lluís Maria De Puig, President of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, visited this mass cemetery commemorating the massacre of the peaceful population and said that he was horrified.
Construction of a museum at the site of the mass grave is being planned. An initial amoun of AZN 1 million will be allocated for the construction.
- "TRT crew visits genocide mass grave in Guba". APA. 2010-03-13. http://en.apa.az/news.php?id=117897. Retrieved July 11, 2010.
- "Belgian deputy shocked by mass grave in Azerbaijan". Azerbaijan News. May 25, 2010. http://www.news.az/articles/16170. Retrieved July 11, 2010.
- 2009 ORDINARY SESSION (First part). REPORT. Eighth Sitting. Thursday 29 January 2009 at 3 p.m.
- Museum to be established in mass grave of Guba
- Genocide Museum to be built in Guba
- Museum to be constructed in place of Guba mass grave