Responsible for public education, Picard was elected on June 1, 1997 to the French Socialist Party.
Picard is president of the Union nationale des associations de défense des familles et de l'individu (UNADFI), and appeared in this role as a commentator in the 2004 France 3 documentary on Landmark Education: Voyage to the Land of the New Gurus.
Picard is the regional adviser of Haute-Normandie.
- Creation of a third investigation commission on 'sects', April 7, 2006
- Cult crackdown called extreme, The Globe and Mail, June 12, 2001
- France arms itself with legal weapon to fight sects, The Guardian, June 1, 2001
- Church attacks new French anti-cult law, The Guardian, June 23, 2000
- French assembly approves controversial anti-sect bill, June 22, 2000
- French Anti-Religious Sect Legislation, PBS, July 28, 2000
- France to crack down on sects, The Guardian, June 14, 2000
- Archived articles on Picard law, California State University, College of Humanities and Social Sciences