The Belgrade anti-gay riot was an incident of violence against LGBT people that occurred on 10 October 2010 during a pride parade, organized to promote LGBT rights in Serbia. The gay pride parade has been the first in Belgrade since 2001; a planned parade in 2009 was cancelled due to the threat of violence.
Anti-gay rioters fought with about 5,000 armed police, throwing Molotov cocktails, bricks, stones, glass bottles and firecrackers; the police used tear gas and rubber bullets. There were no fatalities.
Police said that 78 police officers and 17 civilians had been injured, and 101 people had been detained for violent behaviour. The garage of the building of the ruling pro-western Democratic Party was set ablaze, and state TV building and the headquarters of other political parties were also damaged. The parade was viewed as a test for the government of Serbia, which has stated it will protect human rights in Serbia as it seeks to become an EU member. Jelko Kacin, presiding over the European Union's evaluation of Serbia, said that Serbia's failure to stop the riot could damage its bid to join the EU. During a visit to Belgrade two days after the riot, US secretary of state, Hillary Clinton, praised the Serbian government for protecting the human rights of the parade participants.
- LGBT rights in Serbia
- LGBT rights in Europe
- Recognition of same-sex unions in Serbia
- List of riots
- 2010 in LGBT rights
- Gay bashing
- Lowen, Mark (10 October 2010). "Scores arrested in Belgrade after anti-gay riot". BBC News. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11507253.
- VASOVIC, ALEKSANDAR (10 October 2010). "Anti-gay riots rock Belgrade". Toronto Sun. http://www.torontosun.com/news/world/2010/10/10/15645861.html.
- GEC, JOVANA (10 October 2010). "Protesters hurl Molotov cocktails, injure 100 at Serbian gay-pride march". The Globe and Mail. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/europe/protesters-hurl-molotov-cocktails-injure-100-at-serbian-gay-pride-march/article1751569/?cmpid=rss1.
- "Serbia police clash with far-right rioters at gay pride march". guardian.co.uk/Associated Press. 10 October 2010. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oct/10/serbia-police-rioters-gay-pride.
- STOJANOVIC, DUSAN (11 October 2010). "Official: Anti-gay riots send wrong message to EU". MSNBC. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39617475/ns/world_news-europe. Retrieved 19 November 2010.