Template:Infobox single "Bed Intruder Song" is a song by Antoine Dodson and The Gregory Brothers, featuring Kelly Dodson. The song by the Auto-Tune the News creators features processed vocals of Antoine Dodson, who was talking to a news reporter about the alleged attempted rape of his sister Kelly. The song peaked at number 89 in the Billboard Hot 100, the only song that week to enter the chart on iTunes downloads only. The original music video for "Bed Intruder Song"[note 1] went viral. As of December 8, 2010, it has 46,067,989 views.  YouTube listed the song as the most popular video of 2010. As of August 26, 2010 it was still charted as a top song on iTunes.
The song is based on a recording from a WAFF-48 news report about an alleged attempted rape in Huntsville, Alabama. A video of the news report was first posted to the WAFF-48 website on July 29, 2010 and then copied and uploaded to YouTube on the same day. Just two days later The Gregory Brothers released a pitch corrected song version of the news report. The pitch contour of Antoine Dodson's voice was manipulated to make him appear to sing. Michael Gregory told Wired Magazine, "For this one, I really wanted to listen to the contours of [Antoine Dodson's] voice, and the way that he was emoting. I’ve done this enough so that when I heard him talk, I could hear the melody, and that melody kind of changes connotation depending on what key I put it in. Then I do the instrumental track and put it on top." Andrew Gregory told KROQ that Antoine "was passionate, articulate and he was original, which is three things you do not hear in every pop song on the radio today." While telling ABC News that "People are frustrated with pop music because it's all the same over and over again, in terms of being love songs or a song about someone going away. These are songs that aren't about anything you've ever heard a song about."
The music video for "Bed Intruder Song" achieved immense viral success. It became the most-viewed YouTube video of 2010 (excluding major label music videos) despite having been created in the summer of that year.
Jason King, a music professor at NYU was quoted by NPR as saying "It's catchy. It has a really good hook, but it's problematic, too. There's a way in which the aesthetics of black poverty—the way they talk and they speak and they look — sort of becomes this fodder for humor without any interest in the context of the conditions in which people actually live." Baratunde Thurston of The Onion told NPR:
"As the remix took off, I became increasingly uncomfortable with its separation from the underlying situation. A woman was sexually assaulted and her brother was rightfully upset. People online seemed to be laughing at him and not with him (because he wasn't laughing), as Dodson fulfilled multiple stereotypes in one short news segment. Watching the wider Web jump on this meme, all but forgetting why Dodson was upset, seemed like a form of ‘class tourism.’ Folks with no exposure to the projects could dip their toes into YouTube and get a taste. [...] The creativity unleashed has been amazing, and what mitigates my fears of people minimizing the gravity of the situation is how Antoine himself has responded and taken charge of his own meme."
Kenyatta Cheese of Know Your Meme told NPR, "More and more we're seeing people be inspired by viral videos to respond by creating videos themselves. While there is a long history of ‘amateur’ (non-market) spoofing, it is no longer the domain of professionals at SNL, Mad Magazine and drive-time radio hosts. Spoofing is participatory and it's just as good as the commercial stuff."
On August 18, 2010 Billboard reported that "Bed Intruder Song" had entered the Billboard Hot 100 at number 89 by selling 30,000 copies, up by 182%. The next day they also reported that the song entered the Hot Digital Songs at number 49. The Gregory Brothers have reported selling over 100,000 copies of "Bed Intruder Song" on iTunes.
Michael Gregory told Billboard that he did question the appropriateness of taking a bad news story and making it into a musical parody but then came to the conclusion that "it's taking a terrible situation and making at least something positive out of it." The band is splitting the money they make from sales 50% with the Dodson family. Evan Gregory said of the song's success, "I think people are latching onto it is frankly quite similar to why they latch onto a classic ballad or pop song that tops the charts – because there's real emotion behind it that people identify with, even if, in this case, it was for unusual reasons." Andrew Gregory said that "There are plenty of comments that quote funny lines from the song but one of the comments I see most often on our videos is, 'I can't get this out of my head.'"
Techdirt concluded in an article that "This song is not only musically interesting, but also calls attention to a horrible incident that happened as well. And, again, some will brush it off as being meaningless, but the power with which it has interested so many people is not something that should be ignored."
Notable live performances
In September 2010 the Gregory Brothers performed a slower rendition of the song live at New York's Bowery Ballroom without Antoine Dodson . In October 2010, Dodson performed "Bed Intruder Song" for the first time with Michael Gregory on keyboards at the 2010 BET Hip Hop Awards. He was joined by the Gregory Brothers again and performed the song on BET's music video countdown show 106 & Park later that month .
The Gregory Brothers posted the chords to the song in the description bar of the YouTube video so people could do their own versions. According to The Observer, "More than 2,500 videos inspired by the meme had been uploaded by August 14, 2010". Internet trends website, Urlesque, listed the "11 Best Antoine Dodson 'Bed Intruder' Remix Covers".
Other cover versions include styles of a cappella, power pop, and folk. On August 20, 2010 Dane Cook and musician J Chris Newberg incorporated sections of the "Bed Intruder Song" into a cover of "Don't You Want Me" by The Human League. On August 25, 2010 a punk version of the song was recorded by Hayley Williams (from Paramore), Jordan Pundik (from New Found Glory), and Ethan Luck (from Relient K) and posted to YouTube. On November 4, 2010, ska band Suburban Legends performed the song at House of Blues Sunset Strip in West Hollywood, California.  Annoying Orange did a parody of the song, titled "Kitchen Intruder".
Performers at Liberty University, the largest Evangelical Christian university in the world, sang a Christmas parody about the attempted rape. 
Lights performed the song on her Are We There Yeti? Tour 2010.
|US Billboard Hot 100||89|
- Auto-Tune the News Episode 12b, "BED INTRUDER SONG!!!"
- "Top 100 Music Singles". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/#/charts/hot-100?begin=81&order=position. Retrieved August 21, 2010.
- Lipshutz, Jason. "YouTube Remix Auteurs Turn Ordinary Videos Into Pop Music Hits". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/features/youtube-remix-auteurs-turn-ordinary-videos-1004107001.story. Retrieved August 21, 2010.
- Caulfield, Keith. "Chart Moves: Eminem, Jackie Evancho, Taylor Swift, 'Bed Intruder Song'". Billboard.biz. http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3i724a018466b894112aef52b91accf12a. Retrieved August 19, 2010.
- Shannon Miller, Liz. "Auto-Tune the News Hits the Billboard Top 100". GigaOM. http://newteevee.com/2010/08/19/auto-tune-the-news-hits-the-billboard-top-100/. Retrieved August 20, 2010.
- "YouTube turns Dodson outburst into Auto-Tune hit". Channel 4 News. http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/arts_entertainment/youtube+turns+dodson+rant+into+autotune+hit/3744577. Retrieved August 15, 2010.
- Dodson, Antoine; The Gregory Brothers and Kelly Dodson (July 31, 2010). "BED INTRUDER SONG!!! (now on iTunes)". YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtZfW2z9dw. Retrieved October 24, 2010.
- Pepper, Daile. "He's snatching YouTube hits up". WAtoday. http://www.watoday.com.au/entertainment/hes-snatching-youtube-hits-up-20100819-12jcn.html. Retrieved August 19, 2010.
- Mackey, Robert (August 19, 2010). "‘Bed Intruder’ Rant Earns Family a New Home". NY Times. http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/19/bed-intruder-rant-buys-family-a-new-home/. Retrieved August 19, 2010.
- "YouTube rewind 2010: the year in review" (channel). YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/rewind. Retrieved December 13, 2010.
- "YouTube rewind 2010: the year in review" (compilation video). YouTube. December 12, 2010. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUzLhHH7gHg. Retrieved December 13, 2010.
- Victoria Cumbow (August 26, 2010). "Antoine Dodson featured on Today Show". The Huntsville Times. http://blog.al.com/breaking/2010/08/antoine_dodson_featured_on_tod.html. Retrieved August 26, 2010.
- Gentle, Elizabeth. "Woman wakes up to find intruder in her bed". WAFF-48. http://www.waff.com/Global/story.asp?S=12883477. Retrieved August 16, 2010.
- "Woman wakes up to find intruder in her bed [Video"]. WAFF-48. http://www.waff.com/global/Category.asp?C=151146&clipId=4982173&topVideoCatNo=default&topVideoCatNoB=105966&topVideoCatNoC=105977&topVideoCatNoD=110674&topVideoCatNoE=109699&autoStart=true&flvUri&partnerclipid. Retrieved August 20, 2010.
- Buskirk, Eliot. "Gregory Brothers of ‘Bed Intruder’ Fame Discuss TV Pilot, Antoine Dodson". Wired. http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/08/gregory-brothers-bed-intruder-antoine-dodson-autotune/all/1. Retrieved August 15, 2010.
- Andrew Gregory interview with KROQ – 16 August 2010
- Heussner, Ki Mae. "From Sex Assault Fury to Internet-Fueled Fortune". ABC News. http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/sex-assault-fury-internet-fueled-fortune/story?id=11413687&page=3. Retrieved August 17, 2010.
- "Official Google Blog: Double rainbows, annoying oranges and bed intruders: the year on YouTube". The Official Google Blog. Blogger. 12 December 2010. http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/double-rainbows-annoying-oranges-and.html. Retrieved 15 December 2010.
- Chace, Zoe. "'Bed Intruder Song' Climbs The Charts". NPR. http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2010/08/13/129178815/bed-intruder-song-climbs-the-charts. Retrieved August 17, 2010.
- "'Bed Intruder' Meme: A Perfect Storm of Race, Music, Comedy And Celebrity". NPR. http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2010/08/05/129005122/youtube-bed-intruder-meme. Retrieved August 15, 2010.
- McNulty, Charles (August 15, 2010). "Music review: Harry Connick Jr. and his Big Band at the Hollywood Bowl". LA Times. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturemonster/2010/08/music-review-harry-connick-jr-and-his-big-band-at-the-hollywood-bowl.html. Retrieved August 19, 2010.
- Trust, Gary. "Eminem, Rihanna Top Hot 100 For Fifth Week". Billboard.com. http://www.billboard.com/news/eminem-rihanna-top-hot-100-for-fifth-week-1004110192.story#/news/eminem-rihanna-top-hot-100-for-fifth-week-1004110192.story. Retrieved August 19, 2010.
- Peters, Mitchell. "Gregory Brothers Take Antoine Dodson To Hot 100". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/news/gregory-brothers-questioned-remixing-antoine-1004110352.story#/news/gregory-brothers-questioned-remixing-antoine-1004110352.story. Retrieved August 19, 2010.
- "Meet The Team Behind The Meme". Barry. September 17, 2010. http://www.barry.com.au/2010/09/17/gregory-brothers-interview. Retrieved September 20, 2010.
- "Autotune The News Becomes A Billboard Hit". Techdirt. http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100819/18210810695.shtml. Retrieved August 20, 2010.
- "Hip-Hop Awards 2010 Official Site: Hip Hop Awards '10 Performances!". Black Entertainment Television. BET.com. October 13, 2010. http://www.bet.com/Specials/hiphopawards10/hha10_videos/hha10_video_performances.htm?playlist=performances&videoindex=6. Retrieved October 15, 2010.
- Fortune, Matt. "Brother of sex assault victim launches bizarre rant at attacker – and becomes huge YouTube hit". Daily Mail. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1303522/Antoine-Dodsons-YouTube-rant-Brother-sex-assault-victim-internet-hit.html. Retrieved August 18, 2010.
- Gallagher, Paul (August 15, 2010). "Antoine Dodson: from local news item to internet sensation". The Guardian (London). http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/aug/15/antoine-dodson-internet-sensation. Retrieved August 15, 2010.
- Stryker, Cole. "11 Best Antoine Dodson 'Bed Intruder' Remix Covers". Urlesque. http://www.urlesque.com/2010/08/13/antoine-dodson-bed-intruder-remix-covers/. Retrieved August 17, 2010.
- Jones Jr., Thomas L.. ""The Original" NC A&T – Bed Intruder Song 8.11.2010". YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3UsvLyu3N0. Retrieved August 17, 2010.
- "Bed Intruder Song – Hank Green and Andrew Rose Gregory Cover – iTunes Version!". YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6A-cgfK91c. Retrieved August 17, 2010.
- "BED INTRUDER SONG!!! (now on iTunes) [Evan's Cover"]. YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtZfW2z9dw#t=1m14s. Retrieved August 20, 2010.
- Stever, Shane. "Bed Intruder Song – A Cappella Cover". YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wucEzYqTXk. Retrieved August 20, 2010.
- Carr, Jordan. "'Bed Intruder' Song Cracks the Billboard Charts". http://www.aolnews.com/surge-desk/article/bed-intruder-song-cracks-the-billboard-charts/19601818. Retrieved August 20, 2010.
- Berghult, Joel. "Roomie – Bed Intruder FULL Song". YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7_Wc1PCAl0. Retrieved August 20, 2010.
- Vektormusic. "Bed Intruder Song (Cover)". YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKraf32VU6M. Retrieved August 20, 2010.
- "DC & JCN – Bed Intruder / Human League". YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79uFlWECla0. Retrieved August 21, 2010.
- "@DaneCook & @thechrisarmy mashup @AutoTuneTheNews w/ Human League "Don't You Want Me" support @NOH8Campaign". Twitter. http://twitter.com/danecook/status/21698611326. Retrieved August 21, 2010.
- Montgomery, James. "Paramore singer collaborates with New Found Glory and Relient K members for 'punk rock cover' of the YouTube hit.". MTV. http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1646551/20100826/paramore.jhtml. Retrieved August 26, 2010.
- Herrera, Monica. "Paramore's Hayley Williams Puts Rock Twist on 'Bed Intruder Song'". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/news/paramore-s-hayley-williams-puts-rock-twist-1004111539.story. Retrieved August 27, 2010.
- "Bed Intruder Ft. Hayley Williams, Jordan Pundik & Ethan Luck". YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H08EXnT0Pz0. Retrieved August 26, 2010.
- "Suburban Legends – Bed Intruder Song". YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Lk86beOew. Retrieved November 8, 2010.
- Liberty University. "Christmas Carol Version of the Bed Intruder Song (Cover)". YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMB10wwmWrU. Retrieved December 14, 2010.
- Official full length version at YouTube
- The official original shorter version at YouTube
- Antoine Dodson and Bed Intruder Song at Know Your Meme
- Antoine Dodson's website