|This article may need to be wikified to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. Please help by adding relevant internal links, or by improving the article's layout. (March 2010)|
Because I Am a Girl is a campaign by the aid organization Plan. The campaign is made to address the issue of gender discrimination around the world. The goal of the campaign is to promote rights of girls and bring millions of girls out of poverty around the world.
Each year, a Because I Am a Girl report is released by Plan as an update on the state of the world's girls. The report is produced annually since 2007 and it will end in 2015. Researchers for the report visit the girls around the world and summarizes in the report.
Reports released since 2007:
- 2009: Girls in the Global Economy: Adding It All Up
- 2008: In the Shadows of War
- 2007: The State of World's Girls
Plan Canada's Because I Am a Girl campaign includes a petition to the Canadian government for a national day of the girl on September 22. This petition is designed to lobby the United Nations for an International Day of the Girl on September 22. The goal is to bring international attention and awareness on the issue of gender inequality and allow for girls to obtain their rights.
In a 2009 campaign, celebrity women donated pictures from their childhood, discussed women who inspired them, and gave their thoughts on human rights.
- "Discrimination against girls 'still deeply entrenched'", The Independent, 15 May 2007, p1
- Because I Am a Girl campaign at Plan International
- "Give girls a chance", The Express on Sunday, 8 March 2009